I've run into the Checkbox event bug on the Macintosh implementations of
Java, where the guarantee in the Oracle documentation that "Programmatically
setting the state of the checkbox will not trigger an ItemEvent" is
violated.

I see a report on this bug from 11 months ago
(https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8074500).  Since I was using only
JRE 1.8.0_31 I tried JRE 1.8.0_40, but the bug is still there.  I'm testing
using a huge applet, but the behavior seems the same as described in the bug
report:

*         anytime setState is used programmatically for a Checkbox, an
ItemEvent is triggered

*         setEnabled does not trigger an ItemEvent, which was helpful in
designing a partial workaround to effects of this bug.

Is there some way of finding out whether a bug is likely to get fixed?  We
found out about this bug from a user of our software, which was concerning
since it could have produced an incorrect result as a consequence of the
improper ItemEvents.  This raises concerns about whether one should advise
customers to avoid the Macintosh.

A related question: I filed a bug report through Oracle in 2013 about a
horrible Macintosh Java display issue, and despite one of the comments being
about how easy it seemed to fix the bug, no action has been taken:
http://www.segal.org/java/refresh4/ (working applet with link to the
official bug report).

Are bugs getting fixed on Java for the Macintosh?  Is there some way to
break such logjams causing delay of years on fixing Macintosh Java bugs, or
is this an issue of "nobody's home"?