On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, James Reynolds wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, James Reynolds wrote:
>>
>>>  Does anyone know why Apple chooses or not chooses to include
>>>  modules? I really dislike installing them. And more and more I find
>>>  I need to. So how would I go about pressuring Apple to include
>>>  more.
>>
>> No vendor includes a full CPAN library with the stock Perl. Linux,
>> Solaris, etc, they're all doing the same thing.
>>
>> If you install your own copy of Perl, it too will only have a partial
>> standard core fraction of CPAN.
>>
>> Get used to CPAN. You aren't going to find a vendor that provides a
>> full CPAN install -- new ones appear daily, so keeping up is
>> impossible anyway.
>
> Hm. I really do not want to install the Dev Tools on my Mac OS X
> Server boxes. I have been getting around this by installing the files
> on a client machine and coping them to the servers, but I don't
> believe this is ideal. Does anyone know what problems I could be
> causing?

I think this should be working fine, and should also gives you the most
control over the exact version you are installing.

Another option to avoid building modules yourself is to use ActivePerl.
It includes the Perl package manager, which allows you to install
pre-compiled modules on your system without having to compile them
yourself.  However, the PPM repository only includes binaries for
modules that compiled and ran their regression tests without problems
in an automated manner, so not all modules may be available.  You
can check the compilation status here:

    http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8-A.html

It is pretty easy to replicate a PPM module set to a different machine:

* Install and run the ppmprofile.pl script:

  ppm install PPM-Profile
  ppmprofile save

* copy the generated profile.xml file to your target machine and run

  ppm install PPM-Profile
  ppmprofile restore

This installs all the same modules from the PPM repository that had
been installed on the original machine.  However, if the module version
has been updated on the repository, then you will be installing a later
version of that module.

Cheers,
-Jan