Hello everyone! Of the small list of ports I maintain, I consider the Cyrus imap mail server related ones to be the most important (cyrus-imapd & cyrus-sasl2). However, I currently don't have the time nor appropriate hardware to dedicate to full maintainership of such a complex port (I'm mostly referring to cyrus-imapd here), which is why I added "openmaintainer" as one of the caretakers. Instead of letting it die a slow and abandoned death, I would like to ask publicly for help in bringing it up to date.

I would like to encourage anyone caring about cyrus and savvy enough on the subject to step up and write a patch against the existing Portfile, taking care of as many aspects of its build & installation process as possible: first and foremost, building on Intel hardware; version upgrade, of course; variants; startup item re-factoring if needed; system user creation (needs adapting to Tiger, I believe); others... (the post-destroot stage I originally wrote is rather complex, so I'd recommend going over it before venturing to tackle cyrus-imapd's installation).

As the final note in the very Portfile says: "Port is itself bare bones, suport for many other things could be added (maybe as variants), so suggest away!". So if you're feeling adventurous enough to enhance the port even further, please by all means by my guest!

Anyone volunteering please take a look at http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/7863 and post your proposed patches against the Portfile as attachments to that ticket (better than sending them to me personally, I might loose track of them). I haven't found any other valid & open tickets for cyrus-imapd so I'd like to concentrate all discussion there. I'll review them ASAP and will commit the most complete & integral one after discussion & consensus with participating parties is reached.

All this commentary also applies to cyrus-sasl2, of course, but that should be a much simpler port. Please concentrate all discussion for that port on ticket http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/11386

        Thanks in advance for your time and help! Much regards,....

-jmpp

PS: If you, reader, are one of those who has already sent me patches and/or suggestions for cyrus-imapd, please excuse me for not having acted on them in due time, I've been most busy on one hand and haven't used cyrus in a while. May I ask you to please step up again and submit your work to the referenced tickets? Thanks!