More information:

doing a lipo -info /Libary/Tcl/macports1.0/Macports.dylib shows that on the system that works, the architecture is x86_64 and on the one that does not work, the architecture is i386. Both cases the gcc is gcc-4.2. Further the dates on the Macports.dylib file is the time of the sudo port selfupdate.

So why did the selfupdate use architecture i386 (and I know that Snow Leopard now defaults to x87_64 rather than i386)?

Ralph Pass

Ralph Pass wrote:
Like several other people I have had trouble with updating to 1.8.1 on Snow Leopard.

On my Mac Pro (about 19 months old), I updated to Snow Leopard and then 1.8.0 and things worked. I then did a sudo port selfupdate and it worked. A sudo port upgrade outdated also worked. On a new (3 month old) Macbook Pro, I updated to Snow Leopard and then 1.8.0 and things worked. However, it failed when I did a sudo port selfupdate:

sudo port selfupdate
dlopen(/Library/Tcl/macports1.0/MacPorts.dylib, 10): no suitable image found. Did find: /Library/Tcl/macports1.0/MacPorts.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
   while executing
"load /Library/Tcl/macports1.0/MacPorts.dylib"
   ("package ifneeded macports 1.0" script)
   invoked from within
"package require macports"
   (file "/opt/local/bin/port" line 39)

Note that for
uname -a     gives:
Darwin mars.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

sw_vers      gives:
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion:    10.6.1
BuildVersion:    10B504

So I am bit perplexed and looking for guidance.

Thanks,
Ralph Pass

Joshua Root wrote:
The MacPorts Project is pleased to announce the release of version
1.8.1. This is a bugfix release with small changes only. The list of
changes is as follows:

    - Installer error messages now display properly even from the Snow
      Leopard MacPorts dmg.

    - 'fetch.type svn' no longer requires the installation of the
      subversion port as of Snow Leopard.

    - Updated manpages and 'port help' output

    - Fixed syncing using the daily tarball.

    - Fixed 'port load'

    - Improved error message when an expression on the command line does
      not match any ports

    - Stopped recording the completion of the install phase in the
      statefile, which led to errors if the port was uninstalled but the
      work dir was not cleaned, and the port was then installed again.

    - Fixed a bug where if an element in the MacPorts directory prefix
      was a symlink, it could be deleted when uninstalling a port.

If you already have MacPorts installed, the preferred method for
updating is to run:

  sudo port selfupdate

For new installs, there are also package installers in disk images
available for 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6 (all universal builds, the first two
i386/ppc and the latter i386/x86_64) at [1]. The source is also
available as tarballs compressed with gzip or bzip2, or from the
subversion tag [2].

Detached PGP signatures for the DMGs and source tarballs have been made
with my key, which is available on the keyservers and my MacPorts wiki
page [3], the fingerprint being:

0xB70C8867DCDBFF26: B6D0 0D4B 209D 03FF 2BCE  B77F B70C 8867 DCDB FF26

Josh
(on behalf of the MacPorts Port Managers)

[1] <http://www.macports.org/install.php>
[2] <http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_8_1/>
[3] <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/jmr>