Dear Ryan, thanks a lot for your email. Answering to your questions…

1) You are right. The directory  /opt/local/var has always been part of
MacPorts. In fact, I had a backup of the older version and, obviously this
directory was still there… The only important difference is that now this /var
directory contains a new subdirectory (called /macports), and not existing in
the older MacPorts version, that contains the following subdirectories:
/build   /distfiles  /home /incoming  /logs  /registry  /sip-workaround
/software  /sources
and a file called pingtimes.  Most of those subdirectories contain a lot of
directories and files...

2) After typing "sudo port version” I get the following answer:
[iMac-de-Martin:~] xmartin% sudo port version
Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider updating them
by running 'port selfupdate'.
Version: 2.9.1

3) I have no antivirus at all and in order to check if the problem arises from
any restrictive corporate network, I have conected the iMac to my handy
network. The result is exactly the same

I hope this can help you to find out the way to solve the situation . In any
case, thanks for your effort.

Martin
Dr. Martin Martinez-Ripoll
Research Professor Emeritus
xmar...@iqfr.csic.es
Dept. of Crystallography & Structural Biology
www.xtal.iqfr.csic.es
Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas
Spanish National Research Council
www.csic.es