Sven Anders wrote:
> Ortwin Glück schrieb:
>> Sven Anders wrote:
>>
>>> My problem is: The Scroll-wheel does not work.
>> I have the same problem with the Mighty Mouse. Why do you think it has
>> something to do with HCI/HID mode?
>
> Because I think the HID protocol is only a basic one and supports not all
> features of the supported devices.
> Maybe it has to do with the 'boot-protocol' setting?
> Can I switch the HID mode?

You sound a little confused (okay, the architecture is not exactly well
documented). HCI is the low-level bluetooth device. I wouldn't say it's
even a protocol. It's rather the hardware interface. It controls the
immediate BT hardware stuff. The hcitool can issue most HCI commands to
such a device.

Bluetooth supports several transport layers: UART, RS232 and USB. For us
only USB is relevant. See hciconfig.

HID is a USB device class and as such a Bluetooth "profile". All mice
and keyboards use that.

hid2hci is only used for dongles. Some Logitec mice for instance come
with a cradle.The cradle is connected to an USB port in your PC and has
a bluetooth device built-in.  Or you may have a Bluetooth USB stick,
because your laptop comes with no Bluetooth onboard. Both are dongles.
The mouse so speaks with the dongle only.
In such a setup the dongle by default acts as a (USB) HID device: i.e.
it transparently forwards the mouse data as if the mouse was directly
connected to the USB port.

If in such a setup you want to configure the pairing for instance, you
must switch the dongle to HCI mode. So the OS sees the Bluetooth device
(connected over USB). That's what hid2hci is for. Nothing else.

In my case, I don't have a dongle.

> See first mail. Did not work. For logitech devices there are some special
> commands, maybe we need some for Apple too?!

Don't know what "special" commands those could be.

>> I Gentoo I just set HID2HCI_ENABLE=true in my /etc/conf.d/bluetooth
>> settings.
>
> But does this work? What's the output, if you call the 'hid2hci' from the
> command line?

Of course not, because there is no dongle. :-)

> Ok, my fault. I need the IDs of the Mac's bluetooth device.

No idea what you want with that, but what do I care:

mithril ~ # lsusb -v -s 5:3

Bus 005 Device 003: ID 05ac:8205 Apple Computer, Inc.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          224 Wireless
  bDeviceSubClass         1 Radio Frequency
  bDeviceProtocol         1 Bluetooth
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x05ac Apple Computer, Inc.
  idProduct          0x8205
  bcdDevice           19.65
  iManufacturer           0
  iProduct                0
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1

> But as you can see, your's operating in HID mode too...

Of course. There is no other possibility.

You may want to check the data that your mouse sends with hcidump, as I
have demonstrated on my aforementioned site. If you can see the scroll
events, then your BT setup is correct. Next step is to fix the mapping
the depths of the kernel and Xorg.... My rough guess is that the Xorg
drivers screw it up.

> Regards
>  Sven

Cheers