Kalle Vahlman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On 8/4/05, Simon Budig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The main problem with the memory consumtion is a mechanism called the
> > "projection", which holds the composited image (all layers merged
> > together). This is unfortunately *always* present, even when the image
> > is a simple RGB image. Since the projection is *always* RGBA this means,
> > that a simple RGB image needs twice as much memory as necessary.
>
> That's nasty. But if one were to make a tool designed for retouching,
> the alfa channel is not as necessary as otherwise (unless some filter
> requires it of course). So the projection would be first to go, as you
> point out. Ability to disable projection (ie. single-layer mode)
> sounds like something that could be nice to have in regular gimp too.
> Do I get it right that you wouldn't need projection if working with
> just a single layer and without alfa channel?

AFAIK for single layered images the projection has the same content as
the image itself, only in RGBA format. So it should be possible to avoid
a projection if the display code is reworked a bit.

There are a lot of little things that need to be taken care of: What
happens if the layer is offset WRT to the canvas, what happens when
there is a floating selection, what happens when the image is in indexed
mode? I am not familiar with the display code (it is in
app/display/gimpdisplayshell-render.c, the projection code itself is in
app/core/gimpprojection*.[ch]), so I cannot really judge on the
difficulties, but it is definitely not trivial.

Bye,
        Simon
--
              [EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://simon.budig.de/