Have you checked that the constant PACKAGE_VERSION has exactly the same value (1.0.0) as in the line "Version=" in your .desktop file? If they're not the same osso_initialize() will fail!

Luca D.

2006/3/9, Kalle Vahlman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi all,
>
> Continuing on the same subject...could someone point out what I'm doing
> wrong? I'm trying to put the most simple helloworld application and
> start it from the menu. I created the .deb package, installed it - but
> with no joy. I can run the program from xterm but not start it from the
> menu. In fact, if I try to start it there, the weirdest thing happens -
> I am no longer able to start *any* application from the menu.
>
> Anyway, here's how I call osso_initialize:
>
>     osso_context_t* osso_ctx;
>     osso_ctx=osso_initialize(PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_VERSION, FALSE,
> NULL);
>
> ..and at the end of the program I call     osso_deinitialize(osso_ctx);
>
> Then, my hello-world-spr.desktop file looks like this:
>
>         [Desktop Entry]
>         Encoding=UTF-8
>         Version=1.0.0
>         Type=Application
>         Name=SaminHelloWorld
>         Exec=/var/lib/install/usr/bin/hello-world-spr
>         Icon=qgn_list_gene_default_app
>         X-Osso-Service=hello-world-spr

http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#message-protocol-names

states that interface names cannot have a hyphen (although bus names
can, but since libosso functions use the same name for both...), so
that's at least wrong.

> Now, I am completely puzzled so anyone spotting my mistakes from the
> above would deserve my eternal gratitude! :-) My maemo environment on
> the Linux PC is rather old (from late October 2005), could there be
> anything related to that?

Shouldn't matter in this regard in my opinion.

--
Kalle Vahlman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]