On ons, 2006-05-03 at 11:15 +0200, ext Martin Mueller wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 12:01:43PM +0300, Weinehall David (Nokia-M/Tampere)
> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, one more thing: did you restore any backups, or was the device
> > completely standard except for that xterm?
>
> It reboots about every second day without installing anything except
> xterm and copying over the opera bookmarks manually as well as editing
> the opera rc-file to make the zoom buttons scroll up and down.
>
> Later (about 4 days ago, when I took it with me away from my home) I
> restored the backup from the .51 release since I was too lazy to
> reenter all the WEP keys.  That didn't change anything sigificantly.
>
> It would be nice, if the software could report the reboot or
> poweroff reason in some logfile (maybe it does and I didn't find it).

It should be noted that there is a big difference between poweroff
and reboot.  If the device reboots, it is very likely a software error;
usually triggered by memory leaks or system essential software dying.

Shutdowns on the other hand are usually caused by an empty (or
near-empty) battery, or hardware errors (empty battery should cause a
clean shutdown, hardware errors a non-clean shutdown).

So, when reporting this kind of problems, please *clearly* state whether
you're having problems with the device powering off or with reboots.
They are generally two completely disjoint sets of problems.

Regards: David