From: Jose Maria Alonso [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 16 March 2007 22:01
To: Cass, John P
Subject: RE: 770 auto shutdown problem

Hi,

I found your post googling a bit because I have the same problem. I
couldn't
post directly at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/maemo-developers%40maemo.org/msg08919.html

My N770 shutdowns randomly, sometimes it is possible to get it back, but
most
of the time I have to switch it on again. It is very annoying.

I think the trick here is that the N770 shuts down after a while if
there is
nothing to do. I've noticed that if I play music, the nokia does not
dies and
behaves correctly all the time. Perhaps it is not ypur case.

Probably creating a 'stay-alive' app to the dbus could fix the
problem.... I
have to take a look at this.

In case I find something new I'll let you know.

Thanks for the post!

RE: 770 auto shutdown problem
Cass, John P
 Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:47:02 -0800

Dear All,

Thanks for your comments on my shutdown problem, sorry its taken a while
to get back to you but I was waiting for a new battery and being on
holiday!

So: I reflashed the unit (latest 2006) and put it in R&D mode (green
info text on startup) and I was still seeing the same problem, namely
the 770 decides to turn itself off rather than entering a low power
standby state after a period of inactivity.

I bought a new battery and have tried that too and I am getting the same
problem.

Even with the old battery, energy levels are not low, I can use the
device for ages on constant usage its just if I close it, when I come
back (even after a short time, say 10 minutes) the device is dead.

Apart from monitoring the dbus, does anyone have an idea on how I can
try to trace what's happening when it shuts down?  Are there any clever
ways of recording the sequence of events that would lead to a shutdown?
Does anyone know the logic that leads to shutdowns or stanby actions?
Is the code that governs this open?  Could someone point me to it?

Thanks

John