On 5/3/07, Eero Tamminen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]

Same problem as using framebuffer directly.  How user switches
to another application?   How to invoke power menu properly etc.

What problem with using framebuffer directly? Everything should be
fine, you can get notifications from xserver when your window becomes
obscured, so you can stop drawing. I suggest you to try MPlayer on
Nokia 770 to check how it interacts with xserver. The worst thing that
can happen is some garbage data left on screen on fast applications
switching. That can happen because there is no support to synchronize
access to framebuffer in a reliable way (application using framebuffer
directly may get notification from the xserver about getting inactive
too late and overwrite some other application window).

Adding support to xserver for proper synchronization with direct
framebuffer access applications should be quite possible. It already
synchronizes access to framebuffer with DSP (Xsp API for registering
DSP area). Almost all the necessary changes will probably have to be
added at the same places in xserver which support interaction with
DSP.

I guess it can't be helped and I will make an example application for
using framebuffer directly and some kind of tutorial. Don't know when
I will have enough free time to do this though.

I'm pretty much confident that direct framebuffer access (also with
pixel doubling support) is quite possible for SDL. I don't care much
if you believe me or not :) Someone just needs to do the dirty work
and implement all this stuff.