Hi,

ext Matthew Allum wrote:
>> > I really think using xrandr for this wont buy you much though (in fact
>> > you'll probably loose) as you really only want the single topped app
>> > to notice the display has shrunk not everything server wide (as randr
>> > is intended).
>>
>> That should be a problem only from the performance point of view.
>
> I t not so much a performance problem - its much more a problem you
> effectively want to lie all windows but one about what the display
> resolution actually is. Thats not what randr is for. There will be
> issues. The screen DPI will change for one of which applications could
> respond too (font rendering wise) completely outside of MB's control.

Windows that are not visible should not be updated, so there shouldn't
be any need for Xft to regenerate the font bitmaps for text output.

For banners getting pixelwise smaller text would actually be better
as then it's physical size would be right (just not the borders). :-)

For system dialogs (which take focus) coming on top of the fullscreen
application, the screen size was supposed to be switched back to normal
by the WM before it allows it on screen.  If the dialog contents are
rendered before the dialog is shown, this could be a problem, but
doesn't that happen at expose event i.e. hopefully late enough that
the screen size is back at normal?  If this cannot be guaranteed,
then it's better that the screen size would be changed only when
the topmost window changes.

>> And if that's the thing you're concerned about, then switching
>> screen orientation will be a similar problem and Matchbox should
>> anyway be fixed to notify only visible windows of the screen
>> geometry changes.
>
> Its not matchbox notifying the windows that the display size has changed.

Will the DPI change also for applications that don't have any mapped
windows on screen?  (Did Matchbox unmap the windows when the are
backgrounded, or are they just not visible?)

I guess this would need some testing...  Anybody on the list who
would be willing to patch Matchbox and SDL to test this?  Or just do
a simple test program using XrandR when it switches to fullscreen?
I think it should be possible to test how this behaves just with Xephyr.

        - Eero