On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 16:03 +0300, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mohammed Hassan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 14:15 +0300, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> >> And if you want to check the translation for common errors,
> >> something like this can be used:
> >> https://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps/branches/gramps22/po/check_po
> >>
> >> (which of course doesn't work with our "unique ID" because the msgids
> >> are lacking all the required details.)
> >
> > Interesting. What are the checks performed by this tool ? The code is
> > not documented enough and running it against a normal PO produced
> > meaningless results to me ?
>
> Features:
> - Like GCC, it checks that the order and type of the format parameters
>    match (I don't think it understands "$" though)

I use check_msgid_msgstr_format() to compare every translation with the
corresponding engineering English string to ensure the format parameters
are identical.

> - It can do same also for Python keywords (Gramps is PyGtk program)
Do we need this internally ? Applications developed outside will not be
using logical IDs so it's not a big issue.

> - It also notices if:
>    - msgid has unmatched quotes
logical IDs don't contain them.

>    - translation includes the context part
>    - there are unescaped XML special characters
>      (which would mess up e.g. glade files)

We don't use any of the above currently.

>    - translation includes shortcut key but msgid doesn't
We don;t specify these in the translations.

>    - the last punctuation characters differ
I think this worth me implementing it in my tools.

> - It counts how many translations are done/fuzzy/missing.
msgfmt --statistics can identify that ? ;-)

--
Localization Engineer
Open Source Software Operations