Hi,
On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 13:11 -0500, ext Jesse Guardiani wrote:

[snip]

> This would mean that the Kagu backend process would be a daemon (aka a
> service, depending on your education environment).

If possible, please no, not another daemon. We are already plagued by a
large number of (mostly unnecessary!) daemons (i don't remember on top
of my head how many exactly, but it's a 2 digits figure) that have
trickled over the years in the standard stack.

The metacrawler is a good example of why you don't want to write a
daemon.

To write a daemon is to ask for trouble since your sw will use memory,
cpu time and power all the time. Also bugs will be more critical.

What's wrong with something that runs on-demand?

Unless you rely on having dbus to start and stop the service ... that
would probably be ok.

--
Cheers, Igor

Igor Stoppa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Nokia Multimedia - CP - OSSO / Helsinki, Finland)