Huh, the correction went through sooner than original text, here it is
again, please disregard if you already have it. I don't see it in list
archives or my maemo-developers received mail folder.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Projects Nokia should support (yours?)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:48:22 +0200

Quim Gil wrote:
> Access to hardware before sales start is expensive and highly regulated.

I see. Well, even at the same time as end users would be very helpful
(=posible discount codes working since day 1).

> Nokia provides such access business-as-usual to certain developers,
> usually through commercial or research agreements with private or public
> organizations. Doing the same for individuals or small groups without a
> legal entity is something we could do in Maemo. But you see our point of
> working with a selected list of projects beforehand.

I see. Sounds great :-)

> Then how do you explain that so many promising community projects fail
> in the last mile (or before)? Some developers look for more time, some
> projects look for certain skills, some look for more testing, more
> feedback, more help...

Yes but I am not sure targeting only selected group is ideal. Maybe we
can have focused maemo-fremantle-porting mailing list or discussion
forum or irc channel if maemo-developers is too noisy/broad for that.
Having few skilled people watching it with greater care providing help
you mentioned would be indeed nice. But this should be available to
anyone who asks/subscribes (even to avoid duplicate effort for same
issues of self-help from other developers). If you are afraid of too
many people asking for help then those who help can perhaps decide what
is worth of helping without doing the selection now.

>>  Does it include @nokia.com
>> developers who will help with porting specific code to newer OS? I guess
>> not.
>
> Why not. Surely the work wouldn't be done by the Maemo SW developers
> busy stabilizing Fremantle

That was precisely what I wondered. Every competent developer will be
busy chasing last minute bugs :-)

>, but why not funding someone else to work on
> that.

Great so what about someone providing such support channel with answers,
examples, testing and packaging help? maemo-developers is good even now,
we have several great Nokia people here but if someone is funded to go
the extra mile it may make some difference.

Frantisek