Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Under which circumstances is the N800 started automatically, when the power
> supply is plugged in?

N800 is always started when you plug it in. The difference is in unix
runlevel the device boots into. Normal is runlevel 2 when maemo-desktop
starts fully. When bootreason (/proc/bootreason) is 'charger' it boots
into runlevel 5 with slightly different boot sequence which in final
stage shows only charging icon but otherwise the system behind it is
almost fully booted. So in theory you can have reboot loop which happens
only in runlevel 5 and not in runlevel 2 if the failing part is specific
to runlevel 5. Maybe you saw this?

More details is in /mnt/initfs/linuxrc in function enter_state(), normal
mode is USER state, charging mode is (or is one case of?) ACTDEAD state.
I hope I am not wrong about this.

Personally I don't like this behaviour so I am always powering device by
power key and if I know battery is empty I have charger prepared and
plug it in just after screen lights up to avoid this charging mode.
There is short window of time to do this before dsme/bme starts and
decides to shutdown the system due to low battery.

It would be interesting to modify linuxrc to go to runlevel 2 even in
this charging state and see if it manages to boot normally.

Frantisek