El mar, 29-09-2009 a las 16:54 +0300, Marius Vollmer escribió:

> > If there really is a problem then there is only one other
> alternative I see:
> > work in Hildon (or a fork) and allow the community to release an
> alternative
> > to the standard hildon libraries (under a different library name
> but
> > containing the whole hildon library) on our own schedule.  Any apps
> which
> > wanted to use the new features would have to link against the
> community
> > library names instead of the standard library names but the Nokia
> apps would
> > be unchanged.
>
> This is tricky, of course, since the two libraries will contain
> overlapping symbols.  They must never ever be linked into the same
> process, which will probably be a source of all kinds of stupid and
> unnecessary hair pulling and teeth gnashing.  Just think of plugins
> and
> libraries using libraries.

Well, that's too much of tinkering with libraries when this is not a
library issue, but a distribution problem. Maemo is a distribution and
has a problem. It needs to be fixed at the distribution level.

Hildon could perfectly move forward, with new widgets and all the bug
fixes that the community wants to see. If Nokia doesn't react to that,
we can perfectly create a parallel installable version of the same
library, that the community can maintain in extras and link against in
their applications.

If Nokia wants to stick to use a frozen library version for their
product, that's their business. Community can still move forward.

Claudio