Attila Csipa wrote:

> Can you (or anyone with intimate knowledge) chip in with some comments
> of how playing with these can (not) affect the devices (or what gets
> attached to them) ? I would like to play with this a bit, but don't want
> to burn down my DDP N900 with some weird video sync setting (been bitten
> by some unrelated hardware happily setting parameters that burned the
> video out down :)

Curiously enough, this very Monday I discovered that we could use the dispc
for scaling (in emulators, etc) and have been doing tests for the entire
week. You can do weird things like cloning the fb0 (the fb where the sgx
renders) to multiple overlays while resizing one of them, and up so far
everything still works normally after reboot.

I wouldn't touch the lcd timings, and, as fanoush said, you can only
write pal or ntsc to the tv-out device "timings" field.

Now that the topic has been raised, I'd like to share what I've been
considering for usage of the dispc in 2d games:
- The system seems to use fb0 for sgx, and fb1 for xv surfaces.
- The system seems to use overlay0 as the base overlay, overlay1 for xv
apps: camera, media player (still have to check what happens when a
single app has more than one xv surface, if that's even possible), and
overlay2 for resizing the tv output.
- Thus, when the system is not connected to tv-out, an app could
potentially use some ioctls to initialize fb2, then use sysfs to connect it
to overlay2 and draw it scaled on the lcd (and also, much like xv, use a
special transparent color key on fb0).
When the system is connected to tv-out, this app could "save" overlay2
state and push his own settings when foregrounded, then restore the
previous ovly2 state when backgrounded.

It could even work :), or so I think.

--
Javier