2010/3/23 Andrew Flegg <and...@bleb.org>:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 00:20, Attila Csipa <ma...@csipa.in.rs> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 23 March 2010 00:39:09 Darren Long wrote:
>>> However, in the general case where the source and the executable are not
>>> the same, I believe that maemo.org would be obliged to continue to make
>>> the source available, for at least 3 years.
> [...]
> If the source code doesn't accompany every download, then 3a doesn't
> apply so one of 3b or 3c must.
>
> If 3b applies, maemo.org has to continue to host the source.

Why not pull the binaries and source packages from the *repositories*
at the author's request and put them up in a "archival" directory that is
not exposed via a Debian repository (and therefore not interfering with
the HAM policy, etc..)?

Think of snapshot.debian.net - keeping sources and binaries of packages
that have since been removed from the official archives does not mean
that one has to keep the sources and binaries in the repositories.

What about a new subdirectory on the maemo.org server that contains
source and binary packages for removed-from-Extras packages? Maybe
http://repository.maemo.org/archive/ can be a good place for this.

Either manage this manually (by moving stuff to "archive" when pulling
packages from the repos) or use "pdumpfs", as snapshot.debian.net does.

This would make the GPL discussion irrelevant (because maemo.org can
keep providing the source code, accessible via plain HTTP) and would
make Khertan happy (because he can provide his packages from his own
repository without HAM complaining) and everyone could get back to
being productive :)

Thomas