Hell, frozen over. It took me four evenings, one hour each evening, to tinker
and try and fail and try again. But now it loooks good:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_instance/view/fremantle_extras-devel_free_armel/mafw-play-list/0.1.0-5/

(To test it, you need to have one or more saved playlists on your N900. Then
open X-Term and enter "mafw-play-list NameOfYourPlayList" and it should start
the playback of this playlist.)

Thanks for all the help and support - it's been a positive (community) but
still frustrating (technology) experience :-)
I guess once you're spoiled by something like the Compact Framework and Visual
Studio, a casual hoppy developer finds the current state of Maemo development
quite difficult to accept...

Mainly, there was a major pitfall that I fell into:
- In configure.ac, pkg_check_modules, I had to put mafw and mafw-shared as
dependencies
- But in the Build-Depends of the control file, I had to write libmafw0-dev and
libmafw-shared0-dev

In addition, once something fails, it's still a bit unclear from the current
docs about where to continue/repeat which steps.

Thanks again and Happy hacking
-Tom