On 29 April 2010 09:24, Juhana Jauhiainen <juhana.jauhiai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been lucky enough to get accepted to Google Summer of Code 2010 and my
> project is to develop an eBook reader for Maemo 5 with Qt 4.6.
> Coding starts May 24 and before that we have a "Community Bonding" period so
> I'm looking for ideas and feature requests. Would be nice to also get
> comments from people who have worked on eBook readers themselves.
> Anyway the purpose of this post is just to get some conversation started so
> I can start planning ahead.
> My original proposal can now be found at http://durriken.org/gsoc/.
> Juhana Jauhiainen

Yup,

I've noticed you got accepted and I really like the idea of an eBook
reader for the N900.
FBReader is there, but it's quite rough.

Anyway... I am about to get an eBook reader next week and I've been
reading about Ebook readers quite a lot lately.
What seems to be important is the font.
The default font has to be really nice on the N900 screen and look
gorgeous and easy to read on the chosen background.

Of course, one has to be able to choose, but the default one has to be
the one most people will use.
So please, take particular care on choosing it.

Second, I don't know (I'll read the proposal later today) if you've
already had a thought about this, but will you be using "regular" text
(i.e. normal font rendering by Pango) or will you be looking at
handling the fonts yourself?
I know the font topic is a huge one and handling them properly from
scratch is quite though, but a "graphic" reader with nice rendered
font, will sure make the reading experience awesome and pleasant.

Last, how do you plan to swipe through pages?
Gestures, overlay buttons (a la PDF reader) or continuous read?

--
anidel