On Apr 29, 2010, at 12:24 PM, Juhana Jauhiainen wrote:

> Hello,

Howdy!

I've been using FBReader on Maemo since the earliest days of the 770, and I've
read hundreds of books on my Maemo devices over the past 5 years. So book
reading is something rather near to my heart. ;)

First and foremost you need two things: good format handling and good
formatting options.

Implementing format handling from-scratch is going to be a herculean
undertaking, so I wonder if you could've borrow FBReader's handling (as their
format support is strong and fairly extensive). As that not only gives you a
lot of quality format support, but also a long-term solution to format handling
(assuming you don't have to deviate overly far from their code to implement it).

As for formatting, having easily configurable formatting options is important
to ensuring that all of your users can get their optimal experience. This is
one area where devices like Kindle and iPad fall flat on their faces (setting
the default margin to 1" always seemed rather insane to me). Again, this is
another area where I would mostly just borrow from FBReader (options, not code
;)), but see if it can't be implemented in a more mobile-friendly manner.
Having a number of useful default profiles will help here.

FBReader's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness, so having a native
book reader would be a very welcome change!

--
Ryan Abel
Maemo Community Council member