Florin Pasăre writes:

 > Thank you for your response. I know we should upgrade, but because
 > of company policies this is not really an option at the moment,

Like Carl and Mark, I strongly recommend upgrading to most recent
Mailman 2.  This is straightforward, and during the process you can
get round-the-clock support here because everyone has done it several
times.  You don't need to get the attention of developers, community
support is excellent.

You do not have to worry about losing archives from a Mailman 2
upgrade, because the archival format is just the mbox that your MTA
produces for you.  The web pages are a presentation that can be
rebuilt (at some cost in time) at any time.  In fact, the most recent
month's pages are rebuilt from mboxes every day by a cron job.  Even
the URLs of individual messages remain the same (unless you edit the
mbox by removing or reordering messages).  (If you use an alternative
to the bundled "Pipermail" archiver, you still probably have all the
mboxes somewhere in the system, but you should check that.)

 > at least not an upgrade to Mailman 3.

That is a project that will require some planning in any case.  You
can preserve the mbox files (and even leave the old Mailman 2 archive
CGIs running), and in that sense you won't lose archives.  However,
the version of the Python email package in Python 3 does not cope well
with some of the weird things you find in Mailman 2, and we have not
yet learned how to catch and repair all of them at import time.  Also,
importing messages into HyperKitty changes all the message URLs
(completely different format based on hashed Message-IDs rather than
serial number).  So you probably should think in terms of a man-week
for planning, and a man-week or so for execution, anyway.

I recommend you start "softening up" the CIO for a migration in a year
or two.  Eventually it's going to become painful to maintain Python 2
applications because even the oldest LTS distributions don't provide
old system libraries needed by Python 2, or because QA or CISO says
you can't use them any more because they're too old/vulnerable.

Steve