On 11/22/23 4:03 AM, Florin Pasăre wrote:

I would like to ask you where the system gets the names you see in the
"sent by" field, because sometimes the name doesn't make it clear who is
sending the email and we would like to know if it is something we can
control or change.

Another question is where the system gets the name of the person who
appears in the "reply to" field.

There are lots of possibilities here depending on your list's settings and the MUA you use to read the mail.

If you are applying DMARC Munge From mitigations to the mail, a message which is `From: Joe User <u...@example.com>` sent to `l...@example.net` will have it's From: changed to `From: Joe User via Listname <l...@example.net>`. If there is no display name in the original From: and u...@example.com is a list member, that member's name from the list membership is used unless the member has no name entry. Otherwise, the local part of the email address is used as in `From: user--- via Listname <l...@example.net>`. See https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/view/head:/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py#L137 for details.

In this case, the original From: is added to Cc: or Reply-To: depending on list settings. See https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/view/head:/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py#L193 for details.

If the list is not applying DMARC Munge From mitigations to the mail the From: is not changed and nothing is added to Cc: or Reply-To:.

Other things might be done to Reply-To: depending on the list's General Options first_strip_reply_to, reply_goes_to_list and reply_to_address settings.

I've already seen wrong/different than what was expected names twice using
Mail on Macbook.

Various MUAs have their own rules for what they display as the message sender which may not be the literal value in From:.

The message is sent, for example, by Mario Rossi, and the system adds his
email address to the cc. The problem is the reply-to field, because there
one sees the name of, for example, Claudio Bianchi, which has nothing to do
with this message and so I don't understand why his name appears above the
general address of the mailing list.

With MS Outlook instead what one sees in the sent-by field is the
following: list name list-boun...@domain.ext on behalf of XXX via list name
l...@domain.ext.

Is it possible to have l...@domain.ext instead of list-boun...@domain.ext?

See https://wiki.list.org/x/4030534 particularly the note at the bottom of the page.