Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Users writes:

 > A couple of days ago, over on the MAILOP mailinglist, there was a
 > long thread titled 'Mailman confirmation email denial of service'.

*sigh* The price of success.  Of course this can be done with any
automated service that accepts an email address as an identity, eg,
Wordpress blog comment sections.

 > Recently, a kind person submitted a patch [1] to Mailman for
 > hCAPTCHA an alternative to ReCAPTCHA.  In the discussion of that
 > patch, Mark has stated that he is not interested in any more
 > features for Mailman 2.x.

[...]

 > So, I have volunteered to spearhead an effort to add one or two
 > more people to the Mailman Coders group[2] in order to vet and
 > approve new features that continue the long tradition of providing
 > value to Mailman 2.x.  Who's with me on this?

In the following I'm expressing personal opinions and suggestions,
which should not be taken as representing the position of the Mailman
Project.

I'm not willing to join the group.  I've thrown my lot in with Mailman
3, and don't have energy to spare for new development on Mailman 2.
However, if I can contribute support to Mailman 2 users, I'll do that.
I don't object to people making efforts to maintain Mailman 2, nor do
I begrudge sharing Mailman resources (including the mailing lists and
official repos) -- our hosts are quite elastic about the resources we
use, it's no cost to us.  On the contrary, aside from the intrinsic
value to Mailman 2 users, it's an interesting social experiment.
There was a lot of grumbling about maintaining Python 2, but nothing
ever came of it.  I'd like to see if you can make this work, and I'll
be rooting for your success.

I (again, this is me, I am not speaking for the team) would appreciate
it if you could come up with team nickname or motto to express that
you're not the same as the core project (at least for now).  And you
probably don't want to overpromise.  "Classic Mailman Volunteer Fire
Dept" is the best I can think of offhand.[1]

Steve

Footnotes:
[1]  Remember, "Classic Coke" won in the end. ;-)