I see files in var/lib/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/attachments/.  I did
some searching and found that :

The stored attachments have been scrubbed from the 'plain' format
digest. This happens whether or not anyone actually subscribes to the
'plain' format digest. The only way to avoid it with configuration
settings is to set Digest options -> digestable to No (i.e. disable
digests).

Otherwise, you could set up a cron to periodically remove them, but
then if you actually have 'plain' digest sebscribers, you'll break the
links in their digests.

Some of the lists that that files in attachments does not have archived turned
on and no users do not have digest set.

So if I under stand this these attachments are kept because under “digest
options” “digestible is set to “on”. Is that correct? So even if no user have
digest on , the list keeps attachments?

So what is the best way to clear these files, can I just clear out the
attachments directory?  If no users have digest set , then this will be un
notable. But if user have digest on and it is set to PLAIN, then that could be
an issue?