Rich Morin writes:

 > [the blinux admins] would probably be more inclined to update
 > within version 2.1.x (and tweak the config a bit) than to move to
 > version 3.

That's fine with us.  We are proud of Mailman 2, it's just that a
decade ago we could clearly see it was reaching the end of the line
for major feature development.

IMO, everybody should definitely update to the most recent version of
Mailman 2 which is available from Launchpad via the bzr VCS (you can
also download a tar.gz or maybe a .zip) as well as many distros'
package repositories (if not the very most recent, something much
better than 2.1.12 or 2.1.15).

There have been *many* improvements since then, including the DMARC
mitigations mentioned elsewhere in this thread that may help address
this problem, but also a number of security issues that affect third
parties (a few cross-site scripting vulnerabilities, for example) have
been addressed.  Staying up to date on Internet-facing software is
just plain good citizenship.

 > Where can I find the right place to post a feature request for
 > Mailman 2.1.x?

Here.[1]  The answer will be "No" ;-) *but* that will be followed with
(a) various suggestions for workarounds in the stock Mailman from
developers and other users and (b) help with creating specific patches
for sites to maintain for themselves.  (a) is why I suggest here
rather than mailman-developers -- other users are a great resource!

We aren't opposed to folks developing Mailman 2 further, patch by
patch.  We're strict about devoting project resources to Mailman 3.

Footnotes:
[1]  If it applies to Mailman 3 as well, an RFE on the tracker at
https://gitlab.com/mailman would be appreciated, though.