On Sun, 15 May 2022, Jon Baron wrote:

I am trying to use spamassassin by running everything through
/etc/procmail,

Sorru, I do not understand what procmail and spamassassin, intended to process INCOMING mail, have to do with mailman which is SENDING OUT mail.

I still have a few almost-dead mailman lists on my machine, and I do use procmail to filter my personal incoming mail. It is a long time we have abandoned (been forced to abandon) spamassassin, but that was running on the institute MX, not on my own machine.

As far as I remember (after a first trial) spamassassin was run as a milter in sendmail.cf (the sendmail doc had s[pecial instructions).

Procmail instead is run (by me only on my own machine) via my own ~/.procmailrc (no need to pass through /etc/aliases or amy other system file). That occurs definining it as default deliveryi agent for the local mailer in sendmail.cf (see also sendmail doc).

My sendmail.cf has a section starting with

Mlocal, P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn09, S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                A=procmail -a $h -d $u

The default aliases needed for the mailman lists are kept in a separate alias file, and sendmail.cf concatenates it with the system one

O AliasFile=/etc/aliases,/etc/mail/mailman.aliases

(do NOT use the sendmail.cf lines I quote as they are ... go through the proper sendmail configuration)

--
Lucio Chiappetti - INAF/IASF - via Corti 12 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)