saran...@intracom-telecom.com writes:

 > /usr/lib/python2.7/encodings/iso8859_7.py, in def getregentry(),
 > there is a line: name='iso8859-7' which if it is changed to:
 > name='iso-8859-7' then the encoding is sent correctly and the
 > emails are received by the Exchange server. Nevertheless, i'm
 > wondering if there is a better solution than changing the python's
 > file, so any further thoughts are welcome.

No, there is no better solution for Mailman 2.  The handling of email
headers is done by a library supplied by Python, and that form of the
charset name is in all of the ISO 8859 unibyte encodings.  In Python
3/Mailman 3 we may be able to change this, but both Python 2 and
Mailman 2 are end-of-life so this change won't be made there.

In theory you could also change it in Mailman, but it's risky because
you'd need to check for it and then substitute this form for the
original everywhere it needs to be done, and I can imagine several
pathways where it might be present.  If you're lucky it might be
abstracted into a single function that only needs to be changed in one
place, but what if not?

"iso-8859-7" with the dash is the preferred form (see
https://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xhtml)
so it "should not" cause problems to make this change locally.  But
that's not something we'd want to bet on for other folks' installations.

Steve