I think you have to start blocking them earlier that in Spam Assassin, if you want to make a difference..

If you block them at the SMTP layer, then maybe they give up.. or if you reject with a 4XX, maybe Microsoft might notice an increase in the queues (wishful thinking)

Also, if you check earlier, you can save a lot of overhead..

Only advantage of flagging it at the filtering level, is if you aren't 100% certain it's all spam, then you can redirect it to the person's 'spam' folders..

One note.. you say 'from onmicrosoft.com' .. do you mean the subdomain.onmicrosoft.com or @onmicrosoft.com, there is a slight difference...

On 2024-01-16 14:24, Russell Clemings via mailop wrote:
Since exim_mainlog rolled over Saturday night, I see 332 successful incoming emails from onmicrosoft.com <http://onmicrosoft.com> and 52 spam rejects. Based on the subject lines, all of the successes were spam. So I've added "blacklist from *.onmicrosoft.com <http://onmicrosoft.com>" to spamassassin. I just hope people won't be too disappointed about missing out on their Dewalt Power Stations and their YETI 30-Oz. travel mugs.

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 10:30 AM Randolf Richardson, Postmaster via mailop <mailop@mailop.org <mailto:mailop@mailop.org>> wrote:

     > FWIW, after a log file review we are contemplating blocking
    "azurewebsites.net <http://azurewebsites.net>" as well as
    "@onmicrosoft.com <http://onmicrosoft.com>".

             Our logs are showing small quantities of SMTP traffic from
    "azurewebsites.net <http://azurewebsites.net>" that are usually
    being blocked due to SPF
    failures, and usually sending to weird, nonsencial non-existent eMail
    addresses where the local-part is a series of randomly-selected
    letters and digits, sometimes intermixed with names of birds,
    furniture, food, vehicles, colours, etc., all of which are recipient
    addresses that don't exist and have never existed.

             I'm assuming it's a source of eMail debris from broken
    systems.  I'm
    almost tempted to set up a honeypot to see whatever trash it's trying
    to spew out, but I'd rather do something more productive (like
    flossing my teeth).

     > Curious if others are coming to the same conclusion?

             I'm currently leaning in a block-on-sight direction since
    I'm seeing
    zero legitimate eMail coming from hosts self-identifying as hosts in
    the "azurewebsites.net <http://azurewebsites.net>" domain name in
    the HELO and EHLO commands.

    <mailto:mailop@mailop.org>>