On 2024-01-14 15:28, Alexander Huynh via mailop wrote:
From a spam point of view, signing up for a domain is a barrier of entry which some may consider too much trouble.

This may play into why there's a larger distribution of unwanted mail on the freely-provided `*.onmicrosoft.com` subdomains.

It may be useful to add that I administer a MS365 tenant, having migrated to it recently at $DAYJOB. I don't consider myself particularly skilled, so consider this a very "low-hanging-fruit" assessment.

These are the situations where you'll need the onmicrosoft moniker:

This is all to say: there's no valid reason I can see for anyone to use their onmicrosoft.com domain for outbound e-mail. Even if you're relaying, you'll use <tenantid>.mail.onmicrosoft.com, and that's inbound only.

Spammers rely on the ease of creating a 365 trial account, and .onmicrosoft.com being there and ready for action, and the fact that all e-mail admins hesitate to block the big providers.

As a result, thanks to this discussion, that'll be my first thing to do on Monday.

Kind regards,
Alberto Abrao