Hi,

Now that 5.8.2 has been released, Michael G Schwern has accepted to
consider my patch to add support for C++ modules for inclusion on
MakeMaker but he has requested me to get it reviewed by somebody on
here first so...

A new version of the patch is available from here:
  http://www.nondoc.org/perl/cxx-0.10.patch.gz

The full ExtUtils::MakeMaker+patch package is here:
  http://www.nondoc.org/perl/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.22_01.tar.gz

An a simple sample C++ module to test here:
  http://www.nondoc.org/perl/CxxTest-0.01.tar.gz

I have already been able to test it on Windows+VC6 and Linux+gcc for
perls 5.6.2, 5.8.0 and 5.8.2.

C++ modules are expected to contain a .xss file instead of the usual
.xs one. That file is preprocessed by xsubpp to a .cpp file and then
compiled by the C++ compiler.

Two new variables can be used on Makefile.PL: CXX to set the C++
compiler and CXXLD to set the linker to be used for C++ modules. As
there isn't any information available from Config.pm about the C++
compiler, linker, libs, etc., I had to  use some heuristics to find
default values for those variables from the C config. Also, new hints
should be added for compilers others than gcc and MSVC and support
for other vars (CXXFLAGS, CXXLIBS?) could be needed.

The user can also set CXX and CXXLD himself when running Makefile.PL
from the command line (or even set them on CPAN.pm config).

Deducting C++ compiler config from info on Config.pm is not bullet
proof but the only alternative would be to run some kind of
auto-config process, that doesn't seem easy to implement... any
volunteer?

Cheers,

  - Salva.