On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:04:15AM -0800, chromatic wrote:
> I didn't say M::B made things easier *to install*, just that I consider it
> *possible* to write and maintain Build.PL files that do something more than
> build, test, and install pure-Perl modules that need no customization.
>
> I realize this discussion has veered off toward the "But this is HARD for
> END-USERS" morass, but if it's painful and difficult and unpleasant for me to
> package my software, I'll find other things to do and there won't be software
> for end-users to be unable to install.  I don't think I'm too abnormal in
> that.

I don't think so either; but hey, there's even a tool(kit) out there to ease
most
pain when transforming to a possible coexistance of Makefile.PL & Build.PL! It
comes
as package, namely Module::Build::Convert, which does try to convert the
majority
of nowadays available Makefile.PLs to compliant Build.PL ones. It's being
shipped
with a practicle frontend "shell" script named make2build. I guess, it roughly
gets
about 70% "right" - although this is not exactly a represantive statement as I
have only tested it against a rather small bunch of CPAN distributed packages.
May I suggest (as I previously did, but my requests didn't receive much
attention
and were warnocked) to at least honor the existance[1] of
Module::Build::Convert on
CPAN with a humble linkage in each, MakeMaker's & Module::Build's docs with a
short
outline. And then, there's even a article/howto[2].

I'm certainly regretful if it sounds like too much of avocacy, but I thought
the knowledge about such a converter should be proliferated stronger so that
users
will be able to benefit of it (I rarely receive any
feedback/suggestions/opinions,
so I'd appreciate any of it!).

[1] http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Module::Build::Convert
[2]