Ron Savage wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> I'd like to discuss several issues re ExtUtils::MakeMaker,
> so I'll number the sections for clarity.
>
> All this is on `uname -all`:
> SunOS ssapp0117 5.9 Generic_117171-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890
> with 24 Gb of RAM.
> My test box has got 64 Gb (heh heh heh).

Let's see your perl -V, please.

> (1)
> I install all modules in my own dir, so here's how I get the version number:
> $PERL -I$INSTALL -MExtUtils::MakeMaker -e 'print
> "$ExtUtils::MakeMaker::VERSION\n"'
> No surprise there.
> Now, 2 outputs from installing V 6.31, separated by lines of equal signs.
> In the first case I unpacked the distro, cd'ed into the dir, and run the
> command which follows. In the second case I ran the same command
> (cut-and-paste)
> from within a batch file. The test outputs are different. This confuses me.
> The batch file includes unpacking the distro.

Its possible the batch file is setting some environment variables which are
confusing the MakeMaker tests.  Can you show the output of `env` from within
that batch file just before the tests are run?  And can I see that batch file?

> t/build_man.............ok 3/9
> t/build_man.............NOK 4#   Failed test in t/build_man.t at line 45.
> t/build_man.............ok 9/9# Looks like you failed 1 test of 9.
> t/build_man.............dubious
>         Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
> DIED. FAILED test 4
>         Failed 1/9 tests, 88.89% okay

I've seen this failure before on Cygwin and I think I've figured it out.
You've turned off man page generation and the tests assume its on.  Can I see:
  perl -MConfig -wle 'print $Config{installman3dir}'

And give the latest repo version a try.  I've fixed the test to remove this
assumption.
svn co http://svn.schwern.org/CPAN/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/trunk