Michael G Schwern wrote:
>> We do not want to support any random subclass of
>> version.pm - we only want to support true version.pm objects.
>
> This, too, strikes me as odd.  Why not?

Because the PAUSE indexer runs everything in a safe compartment, with a very
restrictive methodology, and every additional class of version objects would
have to be added manually.  As I said, I would rather have implemented version
objects as a first class type, rather than as a class.  I'm just trying to keep
the abstraction as tight as possible.

That's not to say that version objects are a dead end once it hits 1.0.  I
already have version::Limit (allows a module author to strictly define what
future releases are compatible with what earlier API's).  At some point, I will
release version::Math (to make it easier to create scripts to increment $VERSION
when releasing modules to CPAN).  But those things don't need to be supported
during the release/build/install cycle.  Only version.pm objects meet that
particular need, because of all of the work I took to make sure it DTRT under
all circumstances (e.g. it works "like a number" when it needs to and works
"like a version" when it needs to).

John

--
John Peacock