On 7. Jul 2007, at 17:12, John Gruber wrote:

[...]
I think there should be an official rule that all block-level constructs must be separated by a blank line.

When revising the rules, let me point your attention to a post of mine about problems with nesting block-level constructs and lazy- mode: <http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/2006-August/ 000151.html>

Would be nice to also address the ambiguities raised there, and in that post I give the following example:

    > > I wrote something
    > you replied
    and now here is my reply to your reply.

I really would like to see that interpreted as it reads, rather than a single paragraph of double-quoted text (which is presently the case) -- seems your new proposal would make my preferred interpretation even less likely.