On 3/20/13 9:23 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:48:15AM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 3/20/13 12:36 AM, Samer Mansour wrote:
>>> Hey everyone,
>>>
>>> Juergen, I've already started collecting artifacts inside the
>>> desktop application and the websites, please feel free to add:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO4+-+Application+And+Launcher

See sibling wiki pages for more.

>> great, there is already a good collection.
>>
>> I would keep the proposed changes minimal because we need
>> developers who do the work on the changed design. Exchanging
>> images is one easy part, redesign and changing code more work,
>> especially in our code where UI is more work and can't be
>> compared with for example Java swing ;-)
>>
>> The About dialog looks wrong at least compared with the MacOS
>> version. I think it is not really different on the platforms. I
>> have to check the other platforms.
>
> He took the About from 3.4, the one from trunk looks much nicer
> (though it will have to be redone).
>
> I noticed two major changes in the proposals:
>
> 1) the ORB disappears completely, or is flatten
>
> 2) several logo explorations have a flat look too, very much
> similar to the one Microsoft has given to it products (the Outlook
> website, Windows 8, MS Office).
>
> Ad (1): modifying or eliminating the ORB is IMO a very bad idea.
> It's not only nice and well-designed, but it's also the OpenOffice
> identity since it appeared. You can compare it with Firefox logo
> and its history: since 0.8 it has undergo only a minor redesign for
> 3.5, that certainly didn't change its identity.  vid.
> http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/branding-firefox
> http://idsgn.org/posts/firefox-refreshes-logo/

I like the orb as well and I like the new design from Kevin who did a
minor change and included a globe (see Gulls with globe 01 -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.x+-+Logo+Explorations)

More important from my point of view is that we come to a conclusion
soon. I can live with the orb with minor changes and a new font.
Something reproducable (svg?)

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27846912/2013-03_Apache_OpenOffice_Logo-Proposal_ChrisTa.png?version=1&modificationDate=1363305525000
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30753365/OO_Design_Robin_Fowler.jpg

IMO it is important to develop a visual identity of our own.

+100, a new own visual identity is very important. But is not easy and
more work.

Juergen