Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the publication of research investigating the
performance of diet estimators based on quantitative fatty acid signature
analysis (QFASA), a method that has been widely utilized for marine species.

Citation:

Bromaghin, J. F., K. D. Rode, S. M. Budge, and G. W. Thiemann. 2015.
Distance measures and optimization spaces in quantitative fatty acid
signature analysis. Ecology and Evolution 5(6):1249-1262.

Abstract:

Quantitative fatty acid signature analysis has become an important method
of diet estimation in ecology, especially marine ecology. Controlled
feeding trials to validate the method and estimate the calibration
coefficients necessary to account for differential metabolism of individual
fatty acids have been conducted with several species from diverse taxa.
However, research into potential refinements of the estimation method has
been limited. We compared the performance of the original method of
estimating diet composition with that of five variants based on different
combinations of distance measures and calibration-coefficient
transformations between prey and predator fatty acid signature spaces.
Fatty acid signatures of pseudopredators were constructed using known diet
mixtures of two prey data sets previously used to estimate the diets of
polar bears *Ursus maritimus* and gray seals *Halichoerus grypus*, and
their diets were then estimated using all six variants. In addition,
previously published diets of Chukchi Sea polar bears were re-estimated
using all six methods. Our findings reveal that the selection of an
estimation method can meaningfully influence estimates of diet composition.
Among the pseudopredator results, which allowed evaluation of bias and
precision, differences in estimator performance were rarely large, and no
one estimator was universally preferred, although estimators based on the
Aitchison distance measure tended to have modestly superior properties
compared to estimators based on the Kullback–Leibler distance measure.
However, greater differences were observed among estimated polar bear
diets, most likely due to differential estimator sensitivity to assumption
violations. Our results, particularly the polar bear example, suggest that
additional research into estimator performance and model diagnostics is
warranted.

The paper is available at the following URL:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ece3.1429/abstract

Regards,

Jeff
Jeffrey F. Bromaghin, PhD