Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following paper in
Behavioural Brain Research:

Clegg, I. L. K., Rödel, H. G., & Delfour, F. (2017). Bottlenose dolphins
engaging in more social affiliative behaviour judge ambiguous cues more
optimistically. Behavioural Brain Research, 322, 115-122.

This is the first application of cognitive bias testing to marine mammals, or
indeed any species in the zoo setting, and suggests a pertinent link between
biases and social behaviour.

Abstract
Cognitive bias tests measure variation in emotional appraisal and are validated
methods to assess animals' affective states. However, the link between social
behaviours and cognitive bias has not yet been investigated. Bottlenose
dolphins are a gregarious species for whom welfare research is increasing in
importance, and thus are a good model to test such an association. We adapted a
spatial location judgement bias test for eight captive bottlenose dolphins to
investigate the link between cognitive bias and social behaviour, where we
conducted behavioural observations outside of training sessions and did not
experimentally induce an affective state. Subjects showed stable individual
differences in cognitive biases across the three test days. Furthermore,
dolphins showing more synchronous swimming, a fundamental affiliative
behaviour, judged ambiguous cues significantly more optimistically. Our
longer-term data showed cognitive bias and synchronous swimming frequency were
significantly associated for up to two months preceding the test, but
disappeared prior to that, suggesting that here cognitive bias differences were
reflected by transitory affective states rather than longer-term traits. We
hypothesise that the frequency of synchronous swimming may induce affective
states and/or be induced by them; either way, it has strong potential as an
indicator of affective state in this species and beyond.

The paper can be found here:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166432817300761

Or send any requests for copies directly to isabella.cl...@leec.univ-paris13.fr

Best wishes,

Isabella Clegg

Isabella Clegg
PhD student, Dolphin Behaviour and Welfare
Laboratoire d'Ethologie Expérimentale et Comparée
Université Paris 13
isabella.cl...@leec.univ-paris13.fr
+33 7 71 21 18 14