Dear All,
My co-authors and I are happy to announce the publication of the following
paper;

Bas, A. A., Erdogan M.A., Morris N.R.C., Yeoman K., Humphrey O., Gaggioli
E.,Roland C. 2017. Seasonal encounter rates and residency patterns of an
unstudiedpopulation of bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) in the
northwestern Levantine Sea,Turkey. Hyla : Herpetological bulletin. No.1:11-13
The full text can be downloaded from the link
below:http://hrcak.srce.hr/index.php?show=clanak&id_clanak_jezik=260618
Warm regards,Aylin Akkaya Bas
Abstract:Insufficient data regarding abundance, distribution and movement
patterns of bottlenose dolphins has contributed to lack of effective
conservation strategies within the Levantine Sea. It has been inferred that the
bottlenose dolphin population has decreased by 30 % in the last 60 years, thus
a basin wide research effort on the population is an urgent priority. We
present the preliminary results of the first bottlenose dolphin
photo-identification study in the northwestern Levantine Sea. 32 boat surveys
were conducted from March 2015 to July 2016, totalling 1433 km of survey
effort. Current study reported an uneven distribution, high seasonal encounters
and varied residency patterns of bottlenose dolphins within the northwestern
Levantine Sea. We propose that the northwestern Levantine Sea, specifically the
coastal waters of Antalya Bay, indeed is an important bottlenose dolphin
habitat and adjacent waters may be of similar significance. Of the 56
individuals catalogued, 13 were re-sighted in both years. Encounter rates
varied seasonally, with a peak in spring of 12 groups and 100 individuals per
100 km. Dolphin presence was not detected during autumn and winter. While
seasonal, visitor and transient dolphins were reported, no year-round residency
was documented. Incidental observations of visible starvation signs and skin
parasites suggested individual dolphins in this region could be under
anthropogenic stressors. The results reported here highlight the importance of
baseline information on encounter rate, distribution and residency pattern as
they have a key role on the assessment of population statues and the threats
they are facing. Future studies with annual survey effort, have to be continued
in the northwestern Levantine Sea and its adjacent waters.