My colleagues and I are pleased to announce three new publications on
entanglement in fishing gear in North Atlantic right whales.

The papers show how fishing gear affects swimming and movement behaviours
(Endang Spec Res), that the energetic costs and duration of entanglement are
comparable to significant life-history events (pregnancy, migration, lactation;
Ecol and Evol), and that this has the potential to affect female reproductive
output (Ecol and Evol). Finally, we develop some tools for management to assess
the drag and energetic burden of entanglements at the time of their detection
(Mar Poll Bull).

Two of the three papers are Open Access, so please follow the URLs below.

- Endangered Species Research<http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/esr/v32/p1-17/>
[Open Access]: Swimming kinematics and efficiency of entangled North Atlantic
right whales - J.M. van der Hoop, D.P. Nowacek, M.J. Moore, M.S. Triantafyllou
- Ecology and
Evolution<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ece3.2615/full> [Open
Access]: Entanglement is a costly life-history stage in large whales - J.M. van
der Hoop, P. Corkeron and M.J. Moore
- Marine Pollution
Bulletin<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X16309808>:
Predicting lethal entanglements as a consequence of drag from fishing gear -
J.M. van der Hoop, P. Corkeron, A.G. Henry, A.R. Knowlton, M.J. Moore

Best,

Julie van der Hoop

Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellow
Aarhus University, Aarhus DK