Dear colleagues,

We are looking for two PhD students to join our lab at Dalhousie University to
conduct right and bowhead whale foraging ecology research (ad below). Student
support and field costs are provided. Please apply if this is of interest
and/or help spread the word!

Many thanks,

Sarah

2 PhD students – Marine Ecology & Biological Oceanography

Project: Evaluating ecosystem impacts on balaenid (bowhead and right) whale
foraging ecology

Project description: Climate driven shifts in zooplankton assemblages may
affect the movement, habitat-use and foraging success of balaenid whales (right
and bowhead) through 1) reduced prey quality, 2) variability in prey abundance,
and 3) increased energy expenditure associated with increased time spent
searching for and consuming lower quality prey. However, the degree to which
both species will ultimately respond to spatiotemporal shifts in prey is
unknown. Successful candidates will combine empirical data obtained during
field campaigns and simulation modelling to better understand the energetic
impact of climate change on present and future populations of North Atlantic
right whales and bowhead whales. Using high-resolution, inertial sensing tags,
students will quantify whale behaviour and estimate energetic expenditure.
Obtaining simultaneous recordings about the quality and quantity of prey
encountered, students will quantify energetic consumption and evaluate
nutritional balance under current environmental conditions. This research will
allow us to combine forecasts of climate induced shifts in habitat conditions
and bioenergetic modelling, to assess the energy budget of future populations.

Qualifications: We seek candidates with an MSc in Marine Ecology, Biology or
Ocean Sciences, that will help foster a collegial culture that is grounded in
diversity and inclusiveness. Demonstrating how you work collaboratively with
fellow students, researchers and stakeholders from diverse disciplines,
cultures and academic backgrounds is essential.

Research abilities:

  *   Programming (proficient in R and/or matlab)
  *   Statistical modelling (e.g., LMM, GLMM, GAMMs)
  *   Biologging data analysis
  *   Biological oceanographic sampling and/or analysis
  *   Scientific writing and communication

Location: Department of Oceanography, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova
Scotia, Canada

Start date: September 2022

Field work: Funding for field campaigns provided

To apply: Please send CV with references, Statement of Research Interest (1
page) and unofficial copy of transcripts to Sarah Fortune at
sarah.fort...@dal.ca<mailto:sarah.fort...@dal.ca>

Application reviews will begin on May 15, 2022.

Sarah Fortune (She/Her) | Assistant Professor
FACULTY OF SCIENCE | Department of Oceanography
Life Sciences Centre, Room 4664
DALHOUSIE UNIVERSITY sarah.fort...@dal.ca
Dalhousie University is located in Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and unceded
territory of the Mi’kmaq. We are all Treaty people.