Dear MARMAMers,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our recent publication in a special
issue on Animal Welfare Assessment in the journal Animals which has evaluated
the feasibility of assessing various potential welfare indicators from live
stranding events.

Boys, R.M.; Beausoleil, N.J.; Pawley, M.D.M.; Betty, E.L.; Stockin, K.A.
Evaluating Potential Cetacean Welfare Indicators from Video of Live Stranded
Long-Finned Pilot Whales (Globicephala melas edwardii). Animals 2022, 12, 1861.
doi: 10.3390/ani12141861

Abstract:
Despite the known benefit of considering welfare within wildlife conservation
and management, there remains a lack of data to inform such evaluations. To
assess animal welfare, relevant information must be captured scientifically and
systematically. A key first step is identifying potential indicators of welfare
and the practicality of their measurement. We assessed the feasibility of
evaluating potential welfare indicators from opportunistically gathered video
footage of four stranded odontocete species (n = 53) at 14 stranding events
around New Zealand. The first stranded cetacean ethogram was compiled,
including 30 different behaviours, 20 of which were observed in all four
species. Additionally, thirteen types of human intervention were classified. A
subset of 49 live stranded long-finned pilot whales (Globicephala melas
edwardii) were assessed to determine indicator prevalence and to quantify
behaviours. Four ‘welfare status’ and six ‘welfare alerting’ non-behavioural
indicators could be consistently evaluated from the footage. Additionally, two
composite behavioural indicators were feasible. Three human intervention types
(present, watering, and touching) and five animal behaviours (tail flutter,
dorsal fin flutter, head lift, tail lift, and head side-to-side) were prevalent
(>40% of individuals). Our study highlights the potential for non-invasive,
remote assessments via video footage and represents an initial step towards
developing a systematic, holistic welfare assessment framework for stranded
cetaceans.

The paper is freely available open access here:
https://doi.org/10.3390/ani12141861

Please do contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you very much,
Rebecca

On behalf of all the co-authors

Rebecca M Boys

Marine Biologist

PhD Student

Cetacean Ecology Research Group

School of Natural Sciences

Massey University

Auckland

New Zealand

[cid:b1147bd4-8066-47e6-8688-fd17f0c71c8f]<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rebecca_Boys>
 [cid:5f95b20b-7184-4c6a-a2bb-42f550d7f25a]
<https://scholar.google.co.nz/citations?hl=en&user=7rHpOpMAAAAJ>
[cid:3c467d5c-5459-4925-bacb-3afeffc2e54f] <https://twitter.com/RebeccaMBoys>
[cid:d5651aaf-fcfd-463e-a719-e454f19ea81a]
<https://www.facebook.com/CetaceanEcologyOrg/?__xts__[0]=68.ARBKlWSLR-YC7KHNrW51KXYC8RqNWn5mtIpZGlhILsMi73gubXw7i0iNq-bMfLim8n7PnUX74GpGPXJqVJBIxqdfqVAvHxEd2En0qyW6mKYd9Q30p8kEFIBWKPFgrh4uEh6ISXy5ihiNbt8H1yEWprZQN4kZDRW8gPSk6TMiyNoF-uJ0o1uPoosrGMKBKGD8sc4K3SJPD2e-mWqDxZOc_aY670ngZVZm6YlpZzvKj_r_vh_aHHeSQuS7lgktu6h7HwKL_pEGombnfjc6z3ekwEF4Szn9mLA-y643tiUxNSQiFyiDyOzrVFqnT34Ctus2d0A9GXJMVBvnw7lCKoNnEq4kbA>
 [cid:5499a7e7-5ba0-4839-a610-63d0e17c60ea]
<https://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/explore/research/animal-veterinary/animal/marine/marine_home.cfm>
[cid:ea1adad6-a1c8-48e5-b42b-cd6159fa5812]
www.cetaceanecology.org/<https://www.cetaceanecology.org/>

Australia and New Zealand Student Chapter SMM Committee member

European Cetacean Society National Contact Person for New Zealand