Dear All,

On behalf of my coauthors, I would like to share with you our latest paper
where we test if the ecological/nutritional characteristics of prey have
relation to the opportunistic gill-net depredation by bottlenose dolphins:

Chávez-Martínez K, Morteo E, Hernández-Candelario I, Herzka SZ and
Delfín-Alfonso CA (2022) Opportunistic gillnet depredation by common bottlenose
dolphins in the southwestern Gulf of Mexico: Testing the relationship with
ecological, trophic, and nutritional characteristics of their prey. Front. Mar.
Sci. 9:870012. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2022.870012

Abstract:

Competition between fisheries and bottlenose dolphins is a globally relevant
conflict given its socioeconomic and ecological implications. Understanding the
factors driving the interactions between dolphins and fishery activities is key
to the development of appropriate mitigation strategies. Our study aimed to
assess whether these interactions are related to the ecological, trophic, and
nutritional characteristics of the catch. We used 117 gillnet sets from 48
fishing trips during 2009 – 2010 and 2015 – 2019, which were classified based
on the presence or absence of dolphin interactions. These interactions occurred
year-round and were documented in 46.1% of the sets, with 14.5% of those
showing signs of depredation. The passive acoustic predatory hypothesis, which
states that fish species that generate sound are subject to a higher predation
intensity by dolphins, was not supported by our data. Also, with the exception
of species diversity, ecological parameters such as richness, biomass and CPUE
were slightly higher, although not significant in sets with dolphin
interaction. Furthermore, during 2015 – 2016, we sampled 123 organisms of 25
representative fish species in the catches and determined the whole fish
isotopic composition (δ13C and δ15N), and estimated the nutritional value
(i.e., lipid, protein, and energy content) of each species. Isotopic values
showed no differences between net settings (with and without interaction), fish
habitat, or prey type (potential prey, n= 11 species, vs. non-potential prey,
n= 14). However, a preference towards fish from a certain range of thropic
levels was evident. All the fish (N= 123) showed significantly higher protein
values during the Rainy period, which may be attributed to their reproductive
cycles and higher primary productivity. Interestingly, energy contents of the
dolphins’ potential prey were also significantly higher during this period.
Unexpectedly, protein and energy contents were significantly higher in the
fishes caught in the sets without dolphin interaction, but only during the Dry
and Windy periods, respectively. Opportunistic feeding habits are well known
for bottlenose dolphins, and our results showed that “easy access” to prey will
likely prompt interaction with gillnets, regardless of the species composition,
biomass, seasonality, preferred habitat, sound production capacity, or
nutritional value of the captured fish.

The publication can be accessed freely at the Frontiers webpage:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2022.870012/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Marine_Science&id=870012

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any comments or questions at:
eduardo.mor...@gmail.com <mailto:eduardo.mor...@gmail.com>

Kind regards,

Dr. Eduardo Morteo

Director

Instituto de Investigaciones Biológicas
Universidad Veracruzana

Calle Dr. Castelazo Ayala S/N, Col. Industrial Ánimas
CP 91190, Xalapa, Veracruz, México.

Ph/Tel: +52 (228) 841 89 00
E-mail: emor...@uv.mx

http://www.uv.mx/personal/emorteo/