Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my coauthors, I am pleased to share our recently published
article in the journal Diversity, special issue "Monitoring, Threat
Assessment, and Conservation Actions of Cetaceans".

Antichi S, Jaramillo-Legorreta AM, Urbán R. J, Martínez-Aguilar S, and
Viloria-Gómora L. 2022. Small Vessel Impact on the Whistle Parameters of
Two Ecotypes of Common Bottlenose Dolphin (*Tursiops truncatus*) in La Paz
Bay, Mexico. Diversity 14:712.  https://doi.org/10.3390/d14090712

Abstract
Vessel traffic is one of the major sources of underwater anthropogenic
noise. Dolphins can modify their vocal repertoire, especially whistles, in
presence of vessels to facilitate their communication. Acoustic data were
collected (sampling rate 96 kHz) in La Paz Bay, Gulf of California, Mexico.
Whistle rate and parameters of the coastal and oceanic ecotypes of common
bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops truncatus*) were measured in absence of
vessels and in presence of moving small vessels (size 5–10 m). The peak
noise difference was calculated between the two frequency bands dominated
by the whistles (2000–20,000 Hz) and the small vessel (500–2000 Hz). In
presence of vessels the oceanic ecotype decreased whistle frequencies while
the coastal ecotype increased them. Both ecotypes raised whistle
frequencies with the decreasing of the peak noise difference. The
differences in habitat and group structure could have driven the two
ecotypes to react in a different way to the vessel presence.

The paper is open access and can be downloaded at:
https://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/14/9/712/htm
If you have any questions regarding our work please contact this email:
santichi...@alu.uabcs.mx

Kind regards,
Simone Antichi
--
PhD candidate
Departamento de Ciencias Marinas y Costeras, Universidad Autónoma de Baja