Dear All,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share our recent publication in
the Marine Mammal Science (open access):

Costa, APB, Wilcox LA, Sabin, RC, Rosel PE. (2023). Genetic and
morphological data suggest a southeast Australian type locality for *Tursiops
cymodoce* (Gray, 1846). Marine Mammal Science.
https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13062

The type locality of the nominal species *Tursiops cymodoce *(Gray, 1846)
has been subject of debate. When originally described by Gray, its type
locality was considered unknown, but collected during the voyage of the
H.M.S. *Erebus* and *Terror* to the South Hemisphere (1839-1843). A few
years later, Gray (1871) changed its type locality to the Uruguay River,
which was never in the route of the H.M.S. *Erebus* and *Terror*. Was the
type specimen not collected during the voyage, despite being described and
illustrated in the summary of the voyage (Gray, 1846) or Gray’s later
description of the type locality is incorrect? Such potential inaccuracy in
details provided during the original description can lead to inaccurate
nomenclature. With the recent rise in the number of recognized taxonomic
units within the genus *Tursiops*, the clarification of incongruences like
the one in question is of extreme importance to maintain taxonomic
stability. With this aim, we extracted the DNA of the holotype of *T.
cymodoce*, amplifying a 365 bp fragment of the mitochondrial control
region. Comparisons with sequences from other *Tursiops* available on a
public database revealed that *T. cymodoce* is more genetically similar to “*T.
australis*” specimens (Burrunan dolphins), endemic to the coastal waters of
southeast Australia. Additional morphological analyses of the skull of this
holotype also showed similarities with Burrunan dolphins. In conclusion, we
question the type locality provided by Gray (1871) for the holotype
specimen *Tursiops cymodoce* (Gray, 1846). Here, we make our case to amend
its type locality to southeast Australia following the Recommendation 76A.2
of the International Code on Zoological Nomenclature, wherein it states: “a
statement of a type locality that is found to be erroneous should be
corrected”.

Best,
Ana Costa