I also agree with this suggestion - at least as far as BioMart 0.7 is
concerned. I understand that big changes are planned to the internals for 0.8
which may help avoid some of the vulnerabilities that currently make it
advisable to run BioMart on a separate server, however I don't have any
details. I'm looking forward to investigating it when it is released!

cheers,
Richard

On 30 Nov 2010, at 22:19, Leandro Hermida wrote:

> I definitely also agree with the previous two responses, I do the same and
> run BioMart as documented using it's own back-end specificly compiled
> apache+mod_perl with a separate already existing front-end apache doing
> reverse proxy.
>
> -L
>
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Dr James A Smith <j...@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 30/11/2010 11:15, Bob MacCallum wrote:
> I would run it in a separate back-end apache and use mod_proxy and
> ProxyPass directives in your existing front-end apache (some
> recompilation may be necessary - configure options "--enable-proxy"
> "--enable-proxy-ajp"  - the latter is for a tomcat backend)
>
> I agree with Bob here, unless your biomart is very small I would say that you
> can do it - but DON'T you will find that the performance of your webserver
> will drop considerably! Also Mart can be very easily DoSed by legitimate
> users of the web interface (or more increasingly the services interface)
>
> This is the experince the Ensembl team had. They actually run mart under its
> own dedicated webservers (and they struggle with the huge demands for memory
> of a large biomart) - but the server serving mart ONLY serves mart dynamic
> content (it doesn't even serve mart static content) which is handled by the
> main ensembl servers. The team had to limit the number of children on the
> BioMart instances to no more than 15-20 children due to extreme memory
> requirements of the BioMart system for a large mart, otherwise the instances
> would run out of memory (and these are 16/32 G machines) - they still do if
> users generate weird queries - the servers both backend databases servers and
> frontend MySQL servers are regularly DOSed by legitimate users using the web
> interface. We have also recently noticed other DOS attacks on martservice
> URLs where in efficiently written queries are generating large numbers of
> small queries for whom the backend MySQL backs up - and so delays responses
> to th!
 e martservice request - e.g. requests which look for genes overlapping a
region from within a given list - each return on average 10 bytes of data - but
each request actually takes somewhere between 15 seconds and 2 minutes to
return because of constraints on the MySQL tables....

--
Richard Holland, BSc MBCS
Operations and Delivery Director, Eagle Genomics Ltd