yeah,

> let's be Marxists who never talk about materialism if it might cause our
> brethern to stumble.

I'm happy to ignore your incessant (and bizarrely apolitical) posts on this
topic but please don't pretend that your position is somehow 'Marxist' and
'materialist'. From the mountains of texts I could quote I'll choose a
molehill from the Theses on Feuerbach:

VI

Feuerbach resolves the religious essence into the human essence. But the
human essence is no abstraction inherent in each single individual.

In its reality it is the ensemble of the social relations.

Feuerbach, who does not enter upon a criticism of this real essence, is
consequently compelled:

   1. To abstract from the historical process and to fix the religious
sentiment as something by itself and to presuppose an abstract – isolated –
human individual.
   2. Essence, therefore, can be comprehended only as “genus”, as an
internal, dumb generality which naturally unites the many individuals.

VII

Feuerbach, consequently, does not see that the “religious sentiment” is
itself a social product, and that the abstract individual whom he analyses
belongs to a particular form of society.