These are good observations, i.e. that there is a tendency to a vapid 'climate action' approach which puts people in the streets with no message, no coherent demands, no final rally. The organizers of this march have succumbed to this tendency.

Maybe the worst of these is the NYC subway advert from Avaaz: "What puts hipsters and bankers in the same boat?" (where boat is x-ed out and replaced by 'march')

Yikes, the tragedy of the banker 'solution' to climate in the Kyoto Protocol (thanks especially to Al Gore), carbon trading, continues.

But the alternative - 'climate justice' - is well advanced, albeit going through a relative lull at global scale after peaking five years ago in Copenhagen. The Friday-Saturday events with more serious political critique will include a great new book about climate and capitalism - http://thischangeseverything.org/ - from Naomi Klein and many other speakers at http://convergeforclimate.org/ (if you come, please say hi on the 20th all afternoon at Graffiti Church, 205 E 7th St where I'll be with several African comrades).

If you have time next Thursday, The Global Campaign to Demand Climate Justice is co-convening a Public Forum featuring "Southern Voices on Climate Justice", 2:30 to 5:00 pm at the YMCA Vanderbilt.

Then I gather the following Monday-Tuesday will include direct action, including on Wall Street, as well as excellent Global South activists from the US claiming "Our Power": http://www.ourpowercampaign.org/peoples-climate-justice-summit/

See you there!
Patrick
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu