#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Charles, I am unimpressed by your point re P Gubarev : "You did not deem it
necessary [to check his past]... This is weak,  really weak." I posted the
informative and perceptive essay by Pavel Gubarev because... it was an
informative and perceptive essay. Also because he is an important figure in the
midst of important events. If we were to carefully check the pasts of the many
and varied authors whose works are posted on New Cold War.org, we would get
very little publishing work done.

Pavel Gubarev's capacity to change past political views, and quite drastically
at that, is impressive. Now I want to follow even more his writings.

For those interested, here are two footnotes added to the two recent postings
on New Cold War.org re the Ukrainian language:

Note by New Cold War.org editors, March 4, 2015:
The survey counts of 'Ukrainian speakers' are varied according to the shifting
identifications of what constitutes the language. When Ukraine was part of the
Soviet Union, the standard of Ukrainian language was the 'Kyiv-Poltava
dialect', what is identified today as surzhik (see map above). Many argue this
is not 'pure Ukrainian'. Until the 1990's, the Ukrainian language of western
Ukraine was identified as 'Polish-Ukrainian surzhik' and western Ukrainians
were seen by many in central Ukraine as 'not pure Ukrainians'. Thus do the
shifting winds of politics identify what, exactly, is the Ukrainian language.
http://newcoldwar.org/from-russification-to-ukrainisation-a-survey-of-language-politics-in-ukraine/

 Note by New Cold War.org editor:
[1] The author Pavel Gubarev says the appellation ‘Ukrainian’ was not widely
used or known before the 1920’s, but many historians would challenge this
assertion and argue that the term dates back into the 19th century. They would
also argue that the widely-used term ‘Malorussians’ in the 19th century is
equivalent to recognizing a Ukrainian nationality in formation. For many people
during the 19th and early 20th centuries, Russians, Belorussians, Malorussians
(Ukrainians) and Rusins (in the Carpathia region) in that part of Europe were
considered to be branches of a common nationality. The precise date at which
these branches emerged as distinct nations and nationalities are not easily
determined and are the subject of intense, ongoing, historical debate. The
lines of division have always been blurred and they shift with time and new
interpretations that arise.
http://newcoldwar.org/genesis-of-ukraine-and-ukrainians-maidan-as-a-dividing-point-of-nation-building/

And here is the description of Pavel Gubarev provided at the end of his
published article:
Pavel Gubarev is a contributor to Novorossiya Today under the rubric
 'Russian spring: the struggle for democratic rights and social
justice'. His brief article analyzing the Minsk-2 ceasefire accord of
Feb. 11/12, 2015 is here.
 He is a leader of a political movement in Donbas called 'Novorossiya'.
Like the Donetsk Communist Party, it was denied the right to register
and run in the legislative election in the Donetsk Peoples Republic on
Nov. 2, 2014.

RA